We are looking for a Component Engineer (E3) to join our Modis Aerospace team, working onsite at the European Space Agency in the Netherlands.
Specific tasks to be performed:
- This position involves extensive work to be performed in the ESTEC EEE Component Laboratory. Thus, expertise in general laboratory practices is mandatory.
- Provide expertise in the field of Passive Components, Discrete Semiconductors for RF and non-RF, Complex Microcircuits for Digital, Analog, Mixed Signal and Microwave, Hybrid Technology, Micropackaging, Optoelectronics and Micro-/Nano-Systems (proficiency in at least 4 out of the previous 12 categories is required).
- Carry out Failure Analysis tasks and other analysis tasks as required.
- Prepare reports on the analysis tasks as required.
- Support and advice concerning the performance of analysis tasks sub-contracted to external laboratories.
- Provide related technical support on EEE components to ESA projects and other D/TEC divisions in the area of hybrid technology.
- Provide technical assistance in the definition and to the management of ESA Technology programmes in the field of hybrid technology.
- Provide technical input to the formulation, review and maintenance of the technical standards and specifications relating to the evaluation and capability approval of hybrid manufacturers.
- Provide technical assistance in the formulation and monitoring of Capability Approval programmes for hybrid manufacturers.
- Support ISO certification activities.
General tasks to be performed:
- Electrical characterisation and measurements over temperature range: digital, analog, microwave.
- Surface analysis: Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM), Energy Dispersive Analysis (EDA) by X-Ray, Wavelength Dispersive Analysis (WDA) by X-Ray, Focussed Ions Beam Milling (FIBM) and deposition, Electron Spectroscopy for Chemical Analysis (ESCALAB), Optical Techniques, Raman Spectroscopy.
- Thermography: infrared microscopy.
- Chemical processing: Potting, Etching, Sectioning.
- Radiation effects: Support to irradiation test campaigns in terms of HW and SW test set-up preparation and verification for TID by Gammabeam (Co60) and X-Ray, Single Event Effects by Californium and Heavy Ion beams, Displacement Damage, and emerging methods.
- Reliability testing (environmental, life tests, etc.): Thermal, mechanical, Partial Impact Noise Detection (PIND), Leak testing, Bond strength, Electrostatic Discharge (ESD), Burn-in.
- Use of the laboratories own analysis equipment and of other internal/external facilities to perform Failure Analysis and evaluation task for component qualification.
- Design and implementation of adapted test setups in HW and SW.
- Proficiency in reporting on tasks and analysis results in English Language.
- Support to ISO accreditation / certification activities.
- Support to departmental QMS activities within the scope of the specific tasks.
Modis Aerospace is a specialized Engineering consultancy with more than 30 years’ experience providing aerospace Engineers to our key partners in The Netherlands. Modis is a long-standing business partner of the European Space Agency (ESA), with more than 120 employees recruited from across Europe currently supporting ESA’s activities.
The European Space Agency (ESA) has sites in several European countries. The European Space Research and Technology Centre (ESTEC) is the largest site and the technical heart of ESA. This nursery of European space activities is located in Noordwijk, Netherlands.
At ESTEC, about 2500 engineers, technicians and scientists work hands-on with mission design, spacecraft and space technology.
Almost all ESA projects - except launchers - are managed from ESTEC. In Noordwijk, people work on science missions, manned space missions, Earth observation, telecommunications and navigation satellites.
ESTEC provides extensive testing facilities to verify the proper operation of spacecraft, such as the Large Space Simulator (LSS), acoustic and electromagnetic testing bays, multi-axis vibration tables and the ESA Propulsion Laboratory (EPL).
To successfully perform the above mentioned tasks, the following background / experience is required:
- Master degree in Electrical Engineering, Physics or related specialisation.
- 4+ years of relevant professional work experience.
- Proficiency in EEE Component electrical measurement techniques is required.
- Knowledge of SEM, FIB and x-ray tomography is advantageous.
- The position is for a EEE Component Engineer however, additional metallurgical background is advantageous.
- Demonstrated background and experience in EEE component technologies in terms of constituent materials, production technology, test equipment, test tools, test methods and standards (industrial and standardisation bodies), laboratory techniques, laboratory equipment, laboratory work and procedures including common health and safety regulations.
- A good command of the English language is necessary for reporting.
Please send your CV to email@example.com