We are looking for a Technology Transfer Engineer (E3) to join our Modis Aerospace team, working onsite at the European Space Agency in the Netherlands.
Specific tasks to be performed:
The Technology Transfer Officer will be involved in the following activities:
- Assessing the technical key benefits of the technologies developed under ESA contracts and ESA patents, and how they could answer needs from other fields of applications;
- Build technology/know-how descriptions catalogue stemming out of ESA R&D activities;
- Build a network of space companies interested in technology transfer;
- Support the set-up and organization of call for proposals as well as the assessment of proposals for technology transfer feasibility studies, proof of concepts and demonstrators resulting from the TTPO ‘s activities. The Technology Transfer Officer will provide expertise for the evaluation of proposals, and support the follow-up of the contracts placed with industry.
- The Technology Transfer Officer will also actively contribute to other existing activities of the TTPO, in particular related to the technical support and the patents.
General tasks to be performed:
- Supporting the technology transfer process by continuous research of opportunities and screening of commercial applications of low-medium-high TRL space technology studies into non space sectors, i.e:
- Maintaining awareness of the latest technological trends and current space system engineering practices, which could be beneficial for commercial spin-offs within the frame of the technology transfer activities, especially the ESA BICs (technology push);
- Identifying technology needs of terrestrial sectors and the potential of space technologies to address those needs (market pull).
- Supporting the daily management of the ESA Business Incubation Centres (ESA BICs). This will include daily interfacing with local business partners as well as with the relevant local authorities and governmental agencies;
- Supporting other technology transfer activities such as ESA patent exploitation and the technology transfer broker network activities.
Modis Aerospace is a specialized Engineering consultancy with more than 30 years’ experience providing aerospace Engineers to our key partners in The Netherlands. Modis is a long-standing business partner of the European Space Agency (ESA), with more than 120 employees recruited from across Europe currently supporting ESA’s activities.
The European Space Agency (ESA) has sites in several European countries. The European Space Research and Technology Centre (ESTEC) is the largest site and the technical heart of ESA. This nursery of European space activities is located in Noordwijk, Netherlands.
At ESTEC, about 2500 engineers, technicians and scientists work hands-on with mission design, spacecraft and space technology.
Almost all ESA projects - except launchers - are managed from ESTEC. In Noordwijk, people work on science missions, manned space missions, Earth observation, telecommunications and navigation satellites.
ESTEC provides extensive testing facilities to verify the proper operation of spacecraft, such as the Large Space Simulator (LSS), acoustic and electromagnetic testing bays, multi-axis vibration tables and the ESA Propulsion Laboratory (EPL).
To successfully perform the above mentioned tasks, the following background / experience is required:
- As a minimum a Master degree in a relevant technical or scientific discipline. In addition, diplomas or experience in relevant areas such as technology transfer, technology assessment, commercialization, intellectual property (in particular patent rights, licensing and patenting process) are essential.
- Fluency in English.
- Motivation, initiative and ability to work with a minimum of supervision. Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Previous experience of working in ESA environment and similar public research organization is desirable.
Please send your CV to email@example.com before 26/03/2020